About Me

My photo
Caledonia, Northern Illinois, United States
I am a Thirty-Something mother of four beautiful girls. My love for them, and the joy I've experienced during this crazy ride called motherhood, has inspired me to help make the dream of a family become a reality for couples through gestational surrogacy. I've proudly helped A&T, as their lives were forever changed when they welcomed a son in April 2010 and K&S were blessed as parents in Sept 2012 when we welcomed their twin boys. I completed my final surrogacy journey Nov 2015 when I helped a wonderful local couple J&W and Big Brother add their family with the birth of twin boys. I am so very fortunate to have wonderful relationships with each one of my surro-families and continue to share in their lives.

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Transfer Day!!

We have transferred two 3-day embryos in hopes that at least one of them sticks around until what would be a very late fall due date.  The little "maybe-babies" both survived the thaw and were given a thumbs up rating by the RE and embryologist. 

Jason and I joined my IPs for breakfast prior to arriving at the clinic.  I'm always so grateful for these opportunities. I often explain to people - that question my connection to the baby - that my connection to my IPs is far stronger than any I develop with the child I carry for them.  It's time spent getting to know them and their dreams of a family that I hold most dear during the process.  Of course we all have the same goal in mind which makes it easy to connect but I've been so very lucky to work with some absolutely wonderful couples that I can now call friends.  I feel no differently this time around.  I'm glad we fit this visit in because the transfer that followed was over in the blink of an eye!

The expression "time stood still" most certainly did not apply to our transfer.  Draped in a hospital gown I was hastily scooted into a dim room where my IPs were seated in a tiny corner by the head of the bed.  I plopped my backside down, then had my knees guided into stirrups as a cold ultrasound wand placed on my abdomen offered us a view to the transfer that was about to take place.  We got a quick glimpse of the embryos blown up in size on the overhead screen as they were readied by the embryologist and then -seconds later we got confirmation on the ultrasound screen that the embryos reached their destination by a visible small white "starburst" in my uterus.  The catheter was checked to be sure both embryos were cleared and then off I went to relieve my very full bladder.  All this happened in a matter of maybe 10 minutes.  

This was my 7th IVF transfer so I was accustomed to the procedure but for my IPs it was all so very surreal. They were filled with anxiety and excitement and hopeful that this brief moment in time could change their lives forever.  It all happened so quickly there wasn't really much time to experience the emotions we were all feeling, but it all went perfectly and that's what matters.  
So now we patiently wait!  IM and I will likely be in touch daily until bloodwork is drawn 12 days post transfer.  I always start off this wait cautiously optimistic but as we get closer and closer to the testing window I become a ball full of excitement and nerves.  I know my IPs are beyond anxious and these next few days can't go fast enough! 

No comments: