Translate

About Me

My photo
Caledonia, Northern Illinois, United States
I am a Thirty-Something mother of four beautiful girls. My love for them, and the joy I've experienced during this crazy ride called motherhood, has inspired me to help make the dream of a family become a reality for couples through gestational surrogacy. I've proudly helped A&T, as their lives were forever changed when they welcomed a son in April 2010 and K&S were blessed as parents in Sept 2012 when we welcomed their twin boys. I completed my final surrogacy journey Nov 2015 when I helped a wonderful local couple J&W and Big Brother add their family with the birth of twin boys. I am so very fortunate to have wonderful relationships with each one of my surro-families and continue to share in their lives.

Thursday, September 20, 2012

The First Days

Lil update on me and the boys.  Since several of you have asked, I don't have pics to share just yet but hope to soon. I'll keep you all posted once they've been added to the photo album.

Ryan (Baby A) is doing very good and has been rooming with K&S.  He's just as content and quiet as ever - his personality is the same now as it was in the womb.  He's always been easy going and it takes a lot to get him worked up and when he's upset all you have to do is wrap him up like a burrito to make him content again.  Mason (Baby B) is still in the NICU and since he's been admitted there they probably won't let him "step down" - he'll be discharged directly from their care.  I wish they'd let him join his brother, the two boys have been separated this whole time. :(  Mason is doing really well now and hasn't had any breathing assistance since Tuesday but has been on an antibiotic the last couple of days due to a slight fever.  Right now the "milestones" he needs to meet before going home are to be able to regulate his body temp and to take 25mL minimum at his feedings and of course the fever needs to stay at bay as well.  Ryan is likely to be home as soon as tomorrow where as Mason may need to be here another day or two.  K&S are working on the logistics of all that, it will be a bit tricky for a couple of days - they obviously can't be in two places at once - but looks like it will only be through the weekend at most. **Fingers Crossed**

I went to the NICU to see Mason today and when we got there he was fussing a bit.  K with no hesitation reached in, comforted him and changed his diaper.  This was while he was still in the isolete and looked like it would have been challenging for even me - a seasoned diaper changer.  I was impressed.  She's a natural and will have this baby thing down in no time.  S is jumping in and taking his turn at helping with the boys too and with encouragement he's getting a good feel for the daddy thing.  However, I think I lost points today - apparently I'm not the most attentive babysitter.  K&S left Ryan with me while they went to get a bite to eat and check on Mason.  We enjoyed some snuggle time but then I started to get really tired so I tucked him into his lil bed and closed my eyes for "just a minute".  When I woke up - he was gone!  I panicked for two seconds until I realized the obvious - K&S had come back for him and didn't want to disturb me.  Even still I couldn't help but feel silly for a minute. LOL

I'm staying through the night and will be discharged tomorrow (Friday).  They keep telling me I'm doing great for this being my first c-section.  I've been off IV pain meds since 3am and have been managing my discomfort with the oral meds ok so far today.  My belly is tender of course and now that my meds aren't as strong I've been cramping while pumping and have had some back pain at the spinal site.  It's been a bit of a transition being off the "good stuff" - the Torodol had been keeping me pretty comfortable and masking some of the typical after delivery aches and pains. The incision itself isn't too bad, it's a tad bit numb actually which the OB said may be from nicked nerve endings that need to repair themselves.  As I mentioned, I'm pumping again this time around.  It is a really great way for me to still feel connected and needed, great for weight loss and getting back to myself and excellent for the babies too.  So far Mason's been getting all of the breast milk since he was running a slight fever and there were signs of infection but as my milk comes in and I produce more he'll share with his brother.  I've noticed an increase in supply as the day has gone on and by morning I'm sure I'll be sporting some Dolly Parton worthy tatas.

I want to say thanks to everyone for all the well wishes and congrats we've received over the last few days.  Your love and support mean the world to me.  I feel so blessed that I've been able to help another wonderful couple  create their family and how I've been welcomed into their lives.  I'm excited to watch K&S experience parenthood and watching these lil guys grow - I'm once again amazed at what I've been a part of, truly amazed.

No comments: